You may have heard of the importance of detoxifying the body, but it goes beyond that of a diet fad. Environmental toxins, excessive consumption of alcohol, and even certain prescription medications attribute to our body’s daily exposure of toxins! It is these built up toxins that may cause one to feel fatigued, develop cognitive problems (like poor memory), digestive issues, as well as, the inability to lose weight.
The Liver Our Natural Detoxifier
Our bodies are natural detoxifiers, thanks to four of our major organs. The intestines, liver, kidneys, and skin work together to flush out harmful bacteria and toxins in order to promote a healthy life. However, the liver is the main detoxifier, and provides many functions! For example, did you know that it stores and releases glucose to regulate blood sugar levels? It even stores vitamins and fatty acids so it can constantly supply the body with nutrients!
You’re probably wondering, “How does this process work?” The liver filters blood and works to either neutralize the chemical or toxin; or convert it to an intermediate form for further break down for safe excretion. (1) However, when we overwork our liver it may become difficult for it to keep up. As a result, toxins that are fat soluble can get stored in your body fat. Hence, weight gain and many other unwanted health issues!
It’s Time for a Detox
Although there are many signs and reasons for feeling sluggish or ill, some may be attributed to an abundance of toxins. Here are five signs you should look out for:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Skin problems (acne, rash, hives, etc)
- Digestive Issues that are uncomfortable and irregular
- Cognitive and emotional issues (poor memory, depression, anxiety, etc)
- Weight Gain
How to Detoxify Your Body
As mentioned, our body naturally disposes and detoxifies itself but when it is overwhelmed with toxins it needs a bit of help. Developing a healthy lifestyle that consists of a healthy diet and exercise can CLEANSE and restore our bodies.
- Hydrate - There is always an emphasis on drinking water daily and that is because you should! It flushes out toxins and rejuvenations cells helping your four main organs eliminate waste.
- Probiotics - Toxins can cause an imbalance of good and bad bacteria, which is why probiotics are important when trying to detoxify your body. To learn more about probiotics check out our article on restoring your gut to health!
- Exercise and Sleep - These two go hand-in-hand. Exercising will help break down toxins and fat cells so that the body may expel them efficiently. Meanwhile, sleep helps repair and assist in the development of new and healthy cells that will rebuild and strengthen the immune system.
- Proper diet - Specific foods and herbs have activating properties that aid in breaking down and eliminating toxins. Which is why you should eliminate processed food (they may contain more toxins) and replace them with organic and high fiber food items. A few of these include:
- Flax seeds and Psyllium Husk
- Green Tea and Aloe Vera
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Free-range Eggs and Meat
- Milk-Thistle, Beets, Dandelion Roots
Toxins are inevitable, but not impossible to detoxify from your body. Making small changes to your life like eating healthier, choosing BPA free products, managing overconsumption of alcohol, taking probiotics, even changing the air filter in your home can all make a substantial impact. If you’re searching for an all-natural detox blend that contains some these ingredients, check out ZOË NATURALS – CLEANSE!
Founder & CEO
Doctor of Chiropractic